Lead – Slowly killing your child’s IQ

sash-lead

 

Lead poisoning occurs when lead builds up in the body, often over a period of months or years. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious health problems.Lead is a highly toxic metal and a very strong poison.

Lead exposure is estimated to contribute to 6,00,000 new cases intellectual disabilities in children every year. Lead exposure is estimated to account for 143 000 deaths per year with the highest burden in developing regions.

Causes

Lead poisoning occurs when lead is ingested. It can also be caused by breathing in dust that contains lead. You cannot smell or taste lead. It is not visible to the naked eye.
Some common sources of lead are:

  • Paint
  • Pottery
  • Contaminated water & soil
  • Toys
  • Cosmetics

Symptoms:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Aggressive behavior
  • Constipation
  • Sleep problems
  • Headaches
  • Irritability
  • Loss of developmental skills in children
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fatigue
  • High blood pressure
  • Numbness or tingling in the extremities
  • Memory loss

Prevention:

  • Avoid or throw away painted toys and canned goods from non-certified companies.
  • Keep your home free from dust.
  • Make sure everyone washes their hands before eating.
  • Test your water for lead. If lead levels are high, consider using a filtering device. You can also drink bottled water.
  • Clean faucets and aerators regularly.
  • Wash children’s toys and bottles regularly.
  • Teach your children to wash their hands after playing.
  • Make sure any contractor doing work in your house is certified in lead control.
  • Use lead-free paint in your homes.
  • Screen young children for blood lead levels.
  • Avoid areas where lead based paint may have been used.

Source:Healthline, Mayoclinic

www.medyog.com